Issa Job!!

TBH natural hair is a whole job, now imagine having children with natural hair... You basically work all day err day, 2+ jobs. I kind of get why moms relaxed our hair when we were younger (I won't ever get over the fact that my mom relaxed and cut my hair when I was younger, but i get it). SO basically, a few weeks ago I had an encounter with thick, "unmanageable", natural baby hair. Nahhh not the edges boo, like an actual child's hair. And boy was it an experience.

Basically, my cousin (she's not my cousin by blood because you know how we black people do, anyone who's a close family friend, IS FAMILY) came over to our house and she just took out her braids. The build up??? Never seen anything like it. WHile my mom and her mom were talking, I decided to start detangling her hairs. I say hair because I literally had to pull them apart one by one. I had finished about a quarter of her in the half hour before before she had to go home. I asked her mom to bring her over again so i can finish the war.

Fast forward to round 2. As soon as she arrived I led her into my room, pulled out my laptop, put on Moana (cause you know it caaaallllss me, get it!) and get to the detangling. Throughout this whole process I kept thinking to myself, imagine doing this every week. It takes a lot of patience cause you know how kids are, the excuses and fussing just keeps coming. Eventually, I finished washing it and styling it.

I regret not taking a video of her reaction when I took my hand away from in front of her eyes. She was so happy and couldn't stop laughing and nodding her head so the two twists would bounce. And in that moment I realised it was all worth it. Showing her that her hair was so important I was willing to sit for hours and pamper her. To all moms, older sisters, let me not even leave out the dads and brother because y'all got this too, but we need to get our little naturalistas to love their hair and that starts with us showing them how special their hair is.

Yes society is messed up but it's time you build such a strong child that she'll be so sure of herself, no one can tell her otherwise. Let's stop saying things like "Hai, your hair is so difficult", "I'm tired of your hair.", "Maybe we should relax your hair, then it will be pretty and smooth."...STAHP. Let's empower the cause if not us, then who???

Btw thanks for the 200 IG followers, giveaway coming soon. Go follow if you haven't- @naturallywoke, I'm more active on there, I blog occasionally.

Stay WOKE!










Comments

Popular Posts