Realizing my mom is my BFF!!!



I remember it like it was a day ago. I run into my room, stuff my face in my pillow and just scream. Yet again my mom said no. As a child, pfft why am I lying, even to this day my mom is rather over protective. Sleepovers? “No, you have a bed here. Why do you wanna sleep out? Okay, I’ll come fetch you at 11”. Late night house party? “No, why does it have to be at night. Okay, we’ll come fetch you at 10” (mind you the parties usually started at 8, but as we know everyone only arrives at like 10). Camps? “Why do you have to sleep there? We’ll just fetch you at night and drop you off in the morning again”

Those were just a few of the things that used to leave me like, “Mxm, what’s the point? I just won’t go.” It even got to a point where I wouldn’t ask her anymore, cause I knew she’d say no. And when she’d tell me that she’s only looking out for me, and doing it out of love. It was so hard to believe then... 

Don’t get me wrong!!! I wasn’t locked in the house all the time. Quite frankly I had a lit childhood, thanks to my siblings and actual friends ( the ones my mom approved of-mind you I’m still friends with them to this day, a whole 6 years later-if your mom doesn’t like your friend, drop ‘em). I never felt like I was missing out on too much. 
 


Fast forward to today, roughly 5 years later. I finally understand why my mother did what she did. In the past two years my mother and I have become really close. She’s literally my BFF (but don’t tell her that cause according to her she’s not my friend, she’s my mom). 


I moved into res last year and usually only go home on   the weekend, I sometimes only see my family at church. Okay, so my little brother is currently on a camp, his first time sleeping out of the house without a family member. And even though I don’t usually see him on weekends, I can just feel that he’s not at home. That’s when I began to understand what my mom felt when I’d want to sleep out. I couldn’t tell her that though because then she’d start to overthink things. I just assured her that he’d be fine, and I joked about how I didn’t suffer for all those years just for him to go through the same thing, and we laughed and said our “I love yous”. But best believe as soon as I hung up I prayed for my brother, because I mean this world gets less safer by the day.

So if you’re currently perpetually beefing with your mom, don’t build the wall between you two too high cause eventually you’ll need to break it down. Obviously, this post has to do with my personal experiences and I know your situations are most likely different. However, I know there’s someone else out there also going through something similar.  


I forgot to mention that in about grade 11 my parents started allowing me out more often and even go to camps...AND SLEEP THERE!!! Okay sleepovers are still a no no, but I’m really fine with that rn. I actually appreciate all the choices my mom made, cause they sculpted me into the strong willed, independent young woman I am today. I feel like because of my mom now I am able to make rational decisions about places I’ll go to and events that I’ll just see through snap stories. Society thinks that people who grew up like I did are boring BUT never that. 

Stay Woke 

Comments

Popular Posts