FRIENDS being #naturalatUCT

Our next naturalistas to tell us about their natural hair story and what it's like being #naturalatUCT are these 2 beautiful people I stopped on campus last week. They were nice enough to allow me take pictures of them and I really appreciate it. I hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did. Leave a comment at the end.

Being natural at UCT is quite an interesting experience. It's beautiful because there are quite a number of black bodies who are natural, and in the subtle smiles and compliments we exchange, there is a sense of community. There are a large variety of hairstyles on campus, so I have never felt out of place whether I was rocking natural or had braids. There is a general acceptance of different forms of expressions and thus I feel perfectly comfortable with any hairstyle I choose to wear. It's lovely being able to explore your multidimensionality in this way. I use a range of varying products, and often explore new combinations, so I'll list what I absolutely can't go without. I genuinely enjoy Shea Moisture's hair mask for those in between periods where hair can be extra vulnerable. I also love using a bentonite clay and apple cider vinegar hair mask when my hair needs vibrance. 
-IG: kaapstadtokigali (on the left)




I don’t think much of being #naturalatUCT. I think we’re in a moment where we’ve kind of moved away from politicization of our hair because everyone hopped on the natural hair wave. People aren’t aware of natural hair as they were in, say, 2015. then, people would tell me “i really like your afro” (before i cut it) but now everyone has an afro. I like that. I think we have the right to exist without having to be political. 
I play around with my hair a lot but I love wigs as my protective style because I just cornrow and get a chance to rock different hairstyles. I also don’t believe that I was born with hair that wasn’t meant to exist, so I am not hyper aware of my hair. I go to the salon to get it treated once a month because I like the way they stretch it out. I wash it twice a month outside of that and moisturise with Argan oil. 
--IG: morepowerfulthantwocleopatras

It's nice to see how different naturalistas, although on a similar journey have completely different experiences. If you have any further questions, or you yourse;f are #naturalatUCT, drop me a DM on IG:naturallywoke.
Also, if you don't follow me yet please do so (only if you wanna though #consent)- @naturallywoke

Stay woke 

Comments

Popular Posts