Instagram who???

HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL!!!! Hope this year is filled with nothing but blessings and happiness. Yeah I know it's almost 2 months late, but hey better late than never.

Anyway, I deleted my personal IG and will solely be using my @naturallywoke IG from now on (so if you wanna #consent, go follow). As soon as I announced (lol that sounds more serious than it actually is) that I'm deleting my IG on my story, everyone was asking "Why?". "Jubs, you're almost at 500 followers! Why delete it?" Imagine! At our big, big age someone still cares how many followers and likes they have/get. But then I realised, a lot of us really care. We'll make sure we post at a specific time because that's when people are online or we delete and repost our picture because our crush didn't like it in the hope that they'll see it this time. Sound familiar?

So why did I delete it? I was that person who followed people only to get one in return and if you unfollow me, I unfollow you and take my likes with me. I know, petty AH! But then I realised that I had completely missed the point. You follow someone because you like their content not because you expect a follow in return. My followers list was full of people who's feed I couldn't care less about (no offence). And then it hit me... 

I created my @naturallywoke IG last year. Why didn't I just post the "new content"on my personal account? Well, I respected the fact that the people who were following me at that time didn't follow to see the content I'd be posting. And at that time it made sense to have 2 accounts one for what I really enjoyed posting on and one for what society says I should enjoy posting and viewing. 

I had only kept my personal IG because that's the one most of my friends followed. But if my friends really were my friends, they would follow my @naturallywoke page (and they did, well atleast the real ones did) to support my goals and passions even if it meant seeing one or two posts about natural hair regimen or hair care- and all the other people who followed me would be those interested in my content. So that's why I deleted it, there comes a time when you have to follow your dreams and not everyone can come along with you and reach the destination. You'll lose some people along the way (in the case of my IG, 385 too be exact), but it's usually for the best.

I'm working on putting more energy into my IG, remembering why I started it in the beginning-to show young women and girls that beauty isn't only eyebrows on fleek, clear and fair skin, or an hour glass body shape, like social media constantly feeds us. But that beauty comes in all tones, shapes, sizes, hair lengths and textures.

STAY WOKE

(p.s if you have any ideas of content, drop an email)

Comments

Popular Posts